The pictures listed on this page were copied from the United Methodist Reporter Picture
Page so that
those attending the General Conference. We will update this list throughout
the duration of the
Select the caption to view the JPEG images (typically 15K)
April 16-17, 1996
- DENVER -- United Methodists from around the
are gathering April 16-26 at Denver's Colorado Convention Center to deliberate
on issues facing
the church and to determine policies which govern the church. The General
church's top legislative body and the only body which can officially speak for
the church, meets
every four years.
- Warm Western smiles greeted more than 1,000
and some 2,000 staff, visitors and alternates as they arrived in
Denver. Colorado United Methodists provided hospitality throughout the
- Bishop Mary Ann Swenson, left, and her
Swenson, welcome General Conference delegate Susan Ruach to an
reception on opening day.
- Bishops Roy Sano (left) and Woodie White
the opening worship for the 1996 General Conference at the Colorado
Convention Center, April 16, 1996.
- The Tongan Village Dancers perform during a
on opening day, April 15.
- A United Methodist General Conference
waves her green card to signal the chair that she wants to speak at a
- On the evening of the first day of General
Bishop Judith Craig became the first woman to present the Episcopal Address.
Address was given on the next day by James W. "Jim" Lane, lay leader of the
- Francisco de Castro Maria, delegate from
lamented the violation of human rights in Angola and invited prayers and
support of the
- Delegates get down to business discussing
legislation which will affect every United Methodist congregation.
- Strange items appear on the delegates
tables as they
gather materials and make notes to prepare themselves for the important
General Conference Index
General Conference Webmaster: Susan Brumbaugh
PETS Creator: John Brawn
1996 United Methodist General Conference